This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Title not showing for PDF

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:08 AM
For the "pdf" extension, the Title field does not show up in Windows Explorer.
I am using Windows 7, 64-it. Have installed version 1.5. Have restarted Explorer.
Most of the others seem to be there, except the one I need to modify ... Title.
Great application otherwise.
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2016 at 6:14 PM
Hi

Could you say a little more about what you mean by “does not show up”. Are you saying, for instance, that the Title field does not appear in Explorer, or perhaps that it does not contain the title from the PDF file, or that you cannot edit the Title field?

Dijji
Dec 26, 2016 at 3:32 AM
"The Title field does not appear in Windows Explorer".
The rest do.
Coordinator
Dec 27, 2016 at 12:05 PM
Hmm. There are actually three places in Explorer where Title might not be appearing: in the Details pane; in a column added to the main display, is it that; and in the Details tab of the Properties dialog for a file. I am going to assume the most likely case, which is that it is appearing in none of them.

I have attempted to reproduce your problem on my test machines, without success. Everything works as I would expect. I wonder if the issue is with your configuration.

So, when you open Association Manager, and select the .pdf extension, what profile is selected in the combo box on the left? Also, does System.Title appear in the Preview Panel and Details tab panes on the right-hand side of the screen?

Dijji
Jan 4 at 4:52 AM
OK, this is getting really weird.
I was using PDF-XChange Viewer as my default viewer. After uninstalling and setting Adobe as the default, the Title field does come up. The issue though is that it shows as blank, even though there is info within the document, as seen under Properties. Then I added a nominal new Title, via Explorer at the bottom, this shows up in Explorer but is different to the info in the document itself as found under Properties. I have an Excel spreadsheet which reads the data and it showed me the new nominal Title.
I then reinstalled PDF-XChange Viewer and once again have the same issue as the original post ... Title not showing in Explorer. Ran my Excel macro and this time got the original Title property within the document.
Issue applies to Details view and the bottom area of Explorer. These do not match as seen under Properties by right-clicking or viewing within the reader.
Have tried uninstalling-reinstalling readers and File Association Manager, no luck.
What is going on?
Coordinator
Jan 4 at 9:35 AM
Okay, now things are getting much clearer. The thing to remember is that there are two places where properties can be saved.

One is embedded in the document itself. PDF files have a place for storing the Title defined in the format. Of course, not all files do e.g. .txt files. Equally, PDF files cannot store all properties, e.g. PDF files cannot store the Comment property within the file.

The other storage location is in an annex to the file, which is where File Meta stores properties. This has the merit of working for all file types, but the drawback that the properties are only moved automatically with the file when it is moved around within NTFS drives.

Now we come to the question of what you see in Explorer. Explorer uses plug-ins called property handlers to access properties. Which property you see depends where the property handler looks. File Meta installs a property handler that looks in the annex to the file. PDF-XChange installs, by default, PDF-XChange Shell Extensions, which almost certainly includes its own property handler that looks at the Title property within the PDF file. Thus, you see different titles depending what is installed.

File Meta 1.5 supports extending third-party property handlers, so here is an option that might suit you. First, uninstall PDF-XChange, and use the Association Manager to remove the File Meta handler for the PDF extension (uninstalling File Meta has no relevant effect). Then reinstall PDF-Xchange. Now, when you open the Association Manager, the PDF extension should show up as having an existing handler. You can then add the File Meta handler on top of it. This should have the effect of showing the Title from the PDF file in Explorer, but allowing you to change this and any other properties without changing the PDF file at all. For further explanation about how all this works, see the Documentation.

Dijji
Jan 5 at 10:49 AM
Thanks for the comprehensive reply.
The solution in the last paragraph works, and now lets me edit the Title field.
Am I correct in understanding that metadata is not embedded in the file? My PDF files will be used across various computers in the future, at work, at home, etc. which may or may not be NTFS. Also I use PDF-XChange Viewer and Adobe interchangeably. By the sounds of it each stores metadata in different ways.
Would there be any other way around using an annex file?
Jan 5 at 11:43 AM
Edited Jan 5 at 11:44 AM
I'm reading the posts in:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/how-do-i-add-tags-to-pdf-and-txt-files/203b60ca-b773-4931-85ad-a5e67656d6ce?page=1
I have the following question:
If I edit the Title field in Windows Explorer, is it equivalent to opening up the PDF document and editing the field within the PDF?
Coordinator
Jan 5 at 3:38 PM
No, if you use File Meta, the Title property is not stored inside the PDF file, which it is if you edit the Title within a PDF editor. Instead, it is stored in an invisible annex to the file. If you want the Title to be stored inside the PDF file, do not use File Meta. It may be that PDF-XChange Shell Extensions includes a property handler that will show the Title property in Explorer and allow you to edit it. If it does, it will almost certainly be storing the value inside the PDF file, if it doesn’t, as the thread points out, there are various other PDF specific solutions that will do these things.

To go back to using the property handler supplied by PDF-XChange Shell Extensions, assuming there was one, just use the Association Manager to remove the File Meta handler from the PDF extension.

Dijji
Jan 6 at 2:38 AM
Thanks for your time.