This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

hidden xml files: Error 0xd opening metadata file

Jun 26 at 8:17 AM
Hi,
I startet hiding the metadata xml files to keep my folders clean (at least visual clean). The problem is that I always have to disable the hiding option before I can export the metada. When I try to export the metadata of a file which already has a hidden metadata xml file the following error appears: "0xd opening metadata file". What can I do about this?
Coordinator
Jun 27 at 8:42 PM
The error you are seeing translates as “Permission denied”. Marking a file as hidden is treated by the file system in the same way as marking it as system. According to the documentation, the usual file opening method will be able to read the file, but not write to it. The only workaround is to remove the hidden attribute: if I were to change the code to support this scenario, that is what exactly what my code would have to do, detect the hidden attribute, remove it, write the file, then replace the attribute. I’m not particularly keen to do this, as using the hidden attribute in this way is something of an abuse.

The only suggestion that I can make at the moment is to take advantage of the command line support for exporting XML files, which allows you to write them to a subfolder, where they are not obviously visible. There is a case for me adding this functionality to the context menu at some point in the future.

Dijji
Jun 28 at 8:35 AM
Thank you very much for your quick and informed reply. I am glad to hear there will be a "save to folder" option in the future. At the moment it is not such big of a problem. I just have to to some more clicks: (1) Make all hidden filey visible (2) search for xml files (3) disable the hiding option. :)