Organising file : Folder structure system vs Metadata

Jan 4 at 7:27 AM
Hi All,

I have just installed and tried "File Metadata", and I LOVE THIS, I planned to reduce FOLDER STRUCTURE (ie, less chance of "Destination Path Too Long Error When Moving/Copying a File" ERROR)

Do you think this can be use for Folder structure organising method? or do you think, this is too risky?

__ what I like about it:__
  1. It is easy to use
  2. It fixed and edit metadata on unsupported files (ie. .Dwg, .Txt, .skp)
  3. The metadata is saved within the file itself. (I tested on 2-3 computer and metadata is saved on the file and not via app's cache) - all you have to do is to have "File Metadata" installed and activate the metadata
  4. It also fixed all previously un-editable tags.
  5. Once file format activated, search engine be able to understood and filter basing
Coordinator
Jan 4 at 8:54 AM
Edited Jan 4 at 8:57 AM
I’m glad you like the software.

Before you bet your computing life on it, however, you need to be fully aware of what it does. File Meta does not store properties within the file itself, but in an annex to the file. This is fully transparent as long as you stay within an NTFS world: you can copy and move files around freely, including over networks, and the metadata will be carried with the file.

However, when you step outside NTFS, support is limited. If you copy to a FAT formatted drive, or send a file as an email attachment, the meta data is lost. Some NAS drives preserve metadata and some don’t, even when they present as NTFS. You also need to check whether metadata is preserved when you do things like zip a file up; again some software does and some doesn’t.

Personally, if I were depending absolutely on File Meta metadata I think I would be making sure that my world was all NTFS drives (internal or USB) as far as possible, and using the XML export features regularly (especially the command line support) to make an independent backup of the metadata, knowing that I would then be able to reapply it to the files whatever else happened.

Dijji
Jan 5 at 1:23 AM
Edited Jan 5 at 1:29 AM
Hi Dijji,

Wow, you really have help to made clear up the limitation. Thank you very much, it sure helped me to think twice before migrating to metadata system.
I hope this discussion (with your clear explanation) would help others too.

for further information, would please direct us to tutorial or explain to us on:
  • How to "using the XML export features regularly (especially the command line support) to make an independent backup of the metadata, knowing that I would then be able to reapply it to the files whatever else happened."
I will further test the limitation
Thank you
Coordinator
Jan 5 at 7:46 AM
I'm glad to have been of help. It is important to go into these things clear-eyed.

On the subject of exporting meta data, see this Documentation page:
https://filemeta.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Exporting%20and%20importing%20metadata

Dijji