This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Switching between File Meta Property Handler and the original handler (File Meta 1.3) & not working for .mpeg files (File Meta 1.4 & 1.5)

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:54 AM
Edited Sep 9, 2016 at 3:23 AM
As with some other users, I have tried to remove the handler for .mp4s and .pngs (even .jpgs), before applying the File Meta Property Handler.

Since there is a lot of information on the IPropertyStore Handler for Images (for example), which I might need from time to time, can I remove the File Meta Handler using the File Meta Association Manager (1.3), apply the original handler through the registry (through, say, a backup), then remove the original handler again through the registry, and re-apply the File Meta Handler... will the metadata I had originally entered through File Meta 1.3 still be intact?
Sep 10, 2016 at 10:07 AM
The answer to your question is yes. Removing the File Meta property handler leaves any metadata that you have written intact, and it will still be available when you add the handler again.

You may however like to try the newly released File Meta 1.4, which will continue to read properties using the original property handler as well as write new values using the File Meta property handler. File Meta 1.4 is classed as a beta at the moment, but it passes my full test suite and looks pretty solid. All the documentation has already been updated to describe it.

Dijji
Sep 14, 2016 at 2:55 PM
Thanks for the response. I have been using File Meta 1.4 for about 5 days now. Seems like I won't be needing to switch between handlers anymore. File Meta 1.3 is excellent, but 1.4 is a dream come true. Thank you!
Oct 13, 2016 at 7:27 AM
I just applied a File Metadata Profile to an .mpeg file, but it did not work (File Meta 1.4 & 1.5). I have been using the same profile for most of my file types, without any issues. Not sure what is going on here... any help would be appreciated.
Oct 13, 2016 at 7:41 AM
What, more exactly, does “did not work” mean? Did the set of properties made available for editing in Explorer change when you apply the profile? Is it that the properties were not writable?

Also, what are you seeing in the Association Manager? Does it claim to have set up a File Meta + xxx handler for .mpeg? If so, what is the xxx?

And finally, you seem to be implying that things are working as you would expect for other extensions. Is that correct?

Dijji
Oct 13, 2016 at 9:39 AM
It had no effect at all. No new properties were made available. It is as if I had not used the Association Manager to apply the settings, even though when I do apply them, I get asked whether I want to apply the file meta + xxx, where xxx may be the Simple or Office DSOfile presets or anything else.

Yes, everything is working as it should do for all the file types I have used it for (about 40 file types), except .mpeg files.
Oct 13, 2016 at 4:04 PM
I’m having trouble with .mpeg too. I’m on Windows 10, 64-bit, and even without applying the File Meta handler, things don’t seem to work. The only editable property that shows up in the Details panel is the Rating, and attempts to set it fail with permission problems.

In the Details tab in the Properties dialog, none of the properties appear to be writable.

Exactly the same things happen on a completely clean Windows 10 preview system.

Adding the File Meta handler increases the number of properties that show up In the Details panel, but attempts to set them still fail with permission problems.

There appears to be something special with the way this extension is configured in Windows.

Dijji
Oct 16, 2016 at 2:57 PM
Windows 10, 64-bit here as well. Exactly the same for me. Very interesting...
Oct 17, 2016 at 7:54 PM
Edited Oct 17, 2016 at 8:39 PM
I have submitted Windows feedback describing the problem under the title "Cannot set properties on an .mpeg file".

Dijji