Show column "Revision number" in Explorer

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:06 PM
Windows 10 TH2 64-bit, Simple Profile for PDF files. I can add a Revision number using File Metadata but nowhere can I find the corresponding column to add to Windows Explorer.
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2016 at 1:06 PM
Hi

I get the same thing.

It is because of settings in the property metadata held by the system. If you look at the property description for System.Document.RevisionNumber, which is the property concerned, here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb760634(v=vs.85).aspx you will see that the isViewable property of typeInfo is set to false.

Then if you look at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb773889(v=vs.85).aspx the isViewable property is described as follows:

Public. Optional. Default value is "false". Specifies whether this property is intended to be viewable to the user. For example, the Column Chooser UI only shows the properties that have isViewable="true".

So, Revision Number appears in the Details tab if you right click on the file and choose Properties, and you can set a value there, but it does not show up as a choosable column in Explorer.

Dijji
Jun 28, 2016 at 8:21 PM
Thanks, appreciate the details. I'm new to Windows development. Can the user modify the isViewable property of System.Document.RevisionNumber to make Revision number appear as a column in Windows Explorer?
Coordinator
Jun 29, 2016 at 8:12 AM
I know of no way that the user can modify a system property schema, or even any way that a developer can do it. Custom properties (that is, newly invented properties that you add to the system) can be added or removed (PSRegisterPropertySchema and PSUnregisterPropertySchema), but even they cannot be modified (PSRefreshPropertySchema is defined but not supported).

I don’t even know where the system property information is stored. The property description files for installed custom properties appear to be pointed to by HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema, but there’s nothing in the registry about system properties that I know about.

Dijji