.lnk (shortcut) file extension not present

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:53 PM
I am using windows 10 64 bit version. I could not find the .lnk (shortcut) file extension for creating file matadata handler.
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2016 at 5:34 PM
Installation should be adding a “File Metadata” folder to your Start Menu, containing a link for “File Association Manager”, which opens the management tool.

Dijji
Jun 14, 2016 at 4:08 AM
No No, you misunderstood me and I am sorry for being vague. I want to add metadata (like comments, author etc) for file extension .lnk (similar to adding metadata for .pdf).... I could not find .lnk from the list of extensions available to create metadata.
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2016 at 6:38 AM
Sorry about that, now I get it. If your Windows 10 x64 system is anything like mine, .lnk is in the list, it just appears in the top part because it already has a property handler (called ‘Shortcut’). At the moment, File Meta won’t allow you to install its handler where there already is one. Right now, you have to remove the existing handler first by tweaking the registry. In the case of .lnk this would probably be most unwise.

Adding support for extending existing property handlers is likely to be the main focus for the next release of File Meta in a few months time.

Dijji
Jun 14, 2016 at 8:07 AM
Yes, .lnk is present in the top part and as you have mentioned it doesn't allow me to add/install the handler. Will it be possible in future releases to make it possible to install property handler for the file type for which already a property handler exists (as in .lnk or mp4) or it is just impossible with current version of windows.
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2016 at 11:20 AM
It’s not impossible, but it is awkward. It certainly goes beyond the intentions of the design of the property system. For a long discussion of how it might be done, see http://filemeta.codeplex.com/workitem/9632

My main reservation about implementing it remains the possibility of leaving users confused rather than enabled.

Dijji
Jul 28 at 1:05 PM
Edited Jul 28 at 1:19 PM
Hi. Even though now is .lnk in the list and it is possible to add handler, it doesnt show up in windows explorer, even after restart of explorer or PC. Other file types works just fine. What may be the problem? (I also have 64 bit version, but windows 7).

Edited: it seems that none of the file types having a handler before does not work
Coordinator
Jul 29 at 4:34 PM
Could you be more explicit about what you mean by ‘not working’?

When you add a handler where one already exists, it creates a custom profile by combining one of the standard profiles with the profile associated with the existing handler. You can look at the combined result in the custom profiles page in the Association manager.

What specific metadata are you adding? Where does it not show up? Does it appear in the Details tab in the properties dialog for a file of the type?

Dijji