comments for pdfs - success

May 13, 2016 at 8:39 PM
Hello Dijji - many thanks and kudos for a great utility. Like others I have been looking for a workable solution to this since XP! Very nice.

Just thought I would mention ...

I use pdf-xchange viewer as my default viewer.
So naturally their property handler was in place.
In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers.pdf,
I copied the GUID used by filemeta over the one used by xchange viewer.

Back in filemeta association manager the .pdf extension was now in bold at the top of the list, but without and properties showing.
So I clicked remove handler and then add handler then restart explorer and voila.
I even have comments available for pdfs!

I guess I could have just deleted the GUID assigned by xchange viewer ...

Its very subtle that filemeta doesn't touch property handlers assigned to other apps.

Anyway, thanks!
Coordinator
May 16, 2016 at 1:16 PM
Hi vivasteve

As you say, just deleting the GUID assigned by xchange viewer would have done the trick.

I think the major focus for the next release will be doing something for the cases where there is an existing property handler. Best bet so far looks to be writing all new property values using the File Meta handler, but reading original values using the existing property handler if no File Meta value yet exists. As you will see immediately from this explanation, this approach is in danger of being even more subtle, but I’ve yet to figure out or hear of anything better.

Dijji
May 16, 2016 at 8:07 PM
Hi Dijji

I like that new idea, because in some cases where a property handler exists, one may want to tweak the list of properties offered.
I have no doubt you will come up with a fine solution!

Thanks
Steve