This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

File Meta Association without GUI

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:51 AM
I'm thinking about distributing File Metadata with my own app in order to enhance the searching functionality of the files that are managed with my app. File Metadata tagging functionality would be nice for doing so. However, I would like that the end user doesn´t have to associate file extensions with the handlers by himself. I could manage the registry with my app installer but I don't think It's a clean solution. Is there a better way of doing so? A cmd version of the File Meta Association Manager would be really nice.
Apr 28, 2016 at 8:31 PM
Hi izalakain

No, I don’t think there is a better way of doing this at the moment. Of course, you could use any scripting language driven from your installer, such as Power shell, but I’m not sure that makes much difference. On the positive side, the registry changes are simple and safe as long as you are only creating entries for extensions that Windows does not already know about.

However, I will consider adding this support as part of the next release, especially as registry updates are likely to get significantly more complicated, since the main target of the release will be to support extending existing property handlers, rather than restrict File Meta to cases where there is no existing property handler.

Thank you for the suggestion, because I don’t think there is any chance I would have thought of it otherwise.

Dijji
Apr 29, 2016 at 7:31 AM
Hello Dijji,

So glad to hear that you are considering to include this functionality in your next release. It would make File Metadata perfect for my use case. Do you have an expected release date?

How is your project financed? I have not seen a donation section in the website.

Thanks
Apr 29, 2016 at 11:26 AM
Hi izalakain

I should be able to get to it sometime within the next 3 to 6 months, I hope.

I run this project on my own time, without seeking funding, because I’m lucky enough not to need it. I do, however, encourage donation to other projects which might not exist without financial encouragement.

Dijji
Sep 23, 2016 at 6:32 AM
Hi Dijji,

Are you finally including this functionality on version 1.5?

Best regards

Ilazki
Sep 24, 2016 at 12:18 PM
I hope so. I’m just looking at the details of what would have to be done now. I’m thinking of a separate command with three main options, something like:
fmam -l
to list all of the currently installed File Meta property handlers and their profiles,
fmam –u .ext
to remove the property handler for an extension, and
fmam –r –p=profile –d=”\profile definitions.xml” .ext
to install property handler for an extension, using the specified profile. The profile definitions file would be that created by the File Meta Association Manager as, for example, "C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Roaming\FileMeta\SavedState.xml"

Would that meet your requirements? Also, if I can get this done, would you be prepared to help with the later stages of testing it?

Dijji
Sep 26, 2016 at 7:21 AM
Hello,

I think that would meet our requirements perfectly. :-)

And yes, we would help with the testing. The next month and a half would be the perfect time to integrate it with our app and do some heavy testing.

THANKS

Ilazki
Sep 29, 2016 at 11:33 AM
Edited Sep 29, 2016 at 11:35 AM
If you would like an early look, I have now updated the 1.5 alpha download with a version that includes command line support for associations. I have also updated the documentation in the command line section to reflect this version (note, names were changed from my post above).

At this stage, I think I’d recommend testing in a virtual machine or other non-critical environment. I will be continuing to test, and will upgrade the download to a beta when I have more confidence in it. You can defer all your testing until then, if you prefer: this is an opportunity, not a request.

Any and all feedback would of course be welcome.

Dijji
Sep 30, 2016 at 9:19 AM
Thanks Dijji,

We'll begin testing it on the 2nd week of October.

Regards

Ilazki

De: "Dijji" <[email removed]>
Para: [email removed]
Fecha: 29/09/2016 12:34
Asunto: Re: File Meta Association without GUI [filemeta:654090]

If you would like an early look, I have now updated the 1.5 alpha download with a version that includes command line support for associations. I have also updated the documentation in the command line section to reflect this version (note, names were changed from my post above).

At this stage, I think I’d recommend testing in a virtual machine or other non-critical environment. I will be continuing to test, and will upgrade the download to a beta when I have more confidence in it. You can defer all your testing until then, if you would prefer: this is an opportunity, not a request.

Any and all feedback would of course be welcome.

Dijji

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed])

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:22 AM
Edited Oct 12, 2016 at 9:26 AM
I have now updated the 1.5 download with a new release, which fixes several important bugs. In general, the command line support is looking pretty solid.

I have been working on an automated test harness for the association management command line and GUI, the command line side of which is now mostly there. I will be releasing the code for this with the final 1.5 release, but for now, to give you an idea of what tests I’m running, here is the output from the current command line test script:
#1: Registry settings round trips
#1: Passed

#2: Remove handlers set up by various versions
Version 1.3 with Simple profile
File Meta property handler successfully removed for extension '.FMfoo'
Version 1.3 with custom profile
Version 1.4 with Simple profile
Version 1.4 with custom profile
Version 1.4 with extended handler
Version 1.5 with Simple profile
Version 1.5 with custom profile
Version 1.5 with custom profile and existing 32 bit handler
Version 1.5 with extended handler
Version 1.5 with extended handler and CLSID settings
Version 1.5 with extended handler and both settings
#2: Passed

#3: Add handlers with various arguments
Extension does not exist, Simple profile
File Meta property handler successfully added for extension '.FMfoo'
Minimal extension, Simple profile
Extension does not exist, custom profile 'test'
Extension does not exist, 32 bit handler does, custom profile 'test'
Extend existing .bmp property handler
Extend existing .bmp property handler with CLSID settings
Extend existing .bmp property handler with both settings
#3: Passed

#4: Test various error conditions
No arguments at all
You must specify exactly one of -list, -add, -remove or -help
Bad command
Two commands
Remove without an extension
-add and -remove commands require at least one extension to be specified
Remove with a bad extension
Extension 'nosuch' is not a valid registered extension
Remove with a non-existent extension
Extension '.FMfoo' is not a valid registered extension
Add without an extension
-add and -remove commands require at least one extension to be specified
Add without a profile
A profile must be specified for the -add command
Add with a bad profile
'nosuch' is not the name of a defined profile, you may need to specify a definitions file defining it
Add with a data file and a bad profile
'nosuch' is not the name of a defined profile
#4: Passed

Run 1 completed with no failures
Oct 12, 2016 at 9:24 AM
I have now completed my testing, posted a new version of 1.5 and upgraded it to beta status. I didn't find any further problems, so the only change from the last alpha version is that I have fixed the version numbering, which wasn’t applied consistently to all components. I have now also posted all the source code.

I look forward to hearing the feedback from your own testing.

Dijji