This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Error using version 1.3 in windows 10

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:17 AM
Installed version 1.3 on Windows 10. When I try adding tags to the file (PDF), I get the following error:

An unexpected error is keeping yyou from applying properties to this file. If you continue to receive this errror, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x80030003: The path %1 could not be found.

Any workaround ?
Thanks in advance
Jan 14, 2016 at 8:04 AM
Hi hiwire03

I’ve not seen this one before. I looked up the error code, and sure enough, it means that it could not find a path. The ‘%1’ is a placeholder for the path it could not find, but, unfortunately it’s not being filled in.

It doesn’t seem likely that the problem is the usual need to restart Explorer, more that there is some sort of problem with installation. I do have a diagnostic tool that I can post for you to download that might give us some more information, if you would be prepared to run that for me. Do let me know, and if you are up for it, are you 32-bit or 64-bit?

Dijji
Jan 15, 2016 at 11:41 AM
Hi Dijji

I would certainly like to run the diagnostic tool. I am running on 64 bit Windows 10.
Jan 16, 2016 at 12:36 PM
Excellent! I have added Property Tester as a new download. Please grab the 64-bit version, give it a go, and let me know what you find.

Dijji
Jan 17, 2016 at 3:23 PM
Downloaded, unzipped and ran the Property tester.
The command prompt just flickered. Nothing more than that.
Is a log file created somewhere ?
Jan 17, 2016 at 5:06 PM
It sounds like you are clicking on the unzipped executable. This will pop up a command window, run the tool, then close again before you can see any output.

The tool needs to be run from the command line, i.e. you need to open a command prompt by typing cmd in the search box and choosing ‘Command Prompt’. Then you need to change to a directory containing the test file on which we're going to set a metadata property. For instance, ‘cd Documents’ will take you to your normal documents folder.

Then you can say ‘\wherever\PropertyTester.exe test.pdf’ to run the tool against the chosen target file, or if you unzip PropertyTester.exe to the same directory as the target file, just ‘PropertyTester.exe test.pdf’. The output will appear in the command window, or you can route it to a log file by saying ‘\wherever\PropertyTester.exe test.pdf > log.txt’.

Dijji
Jan 18, 2016 at 12:56 AM
Thanks for the instructions. Did exactly as instructed.

No log file was created, However results as seen on the cmd prompt screen are as follows:

G:>PropertyTest.exe test.pdf

File: test.pdf
Property Handler: {D06391EE-2FEB-419B-9667-AD160D0849F3}

Instantiated Property Handler
Found IID_IInitializeWithFile
Initialized for test.pdf

System.Keywords : GetCount failed with HRESULT=0x80030002

System.Keywords : GetValue failed with HRESULT=0x80030002

System.Keywords : SetValue failed with 0x80030002

Btw, I ran this test on my flash drive.

I observed that I can add tags to the file if they reside on my HDD, the "Error 0x80030003: The path %1 could not be found. " appears only when tagging files on the flash drive.

hiwire03
Jan 18, 2016 at 11:17 AM
Excellent, this certainly clarifies things greatly.

File Meta depends on an NTFS feature to store metadata. How is your flash drive formatted? Many of them ship formatted using FAT, which won’t work.

Dijji
Jan 18, 2016 at 2:47 PM
Right on !!

I checked with the Flash Drive's File format. It was indeed FAT.

This I think solves the mystery!

Thanks,

hiwire03
Jan 19, 2016 at 10:48 AM
Great. It’s always good to pin one of these down. Thank you for all your help in doing so.

I’ve added this error code to the Documentation page about errors and their causes, to help the next person that bumps into this.

Dijji