(URGENT) Issue With Custom Handler [.Docx, .mp4, .Xls]

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:32 AM
Edited Oct 27, 2015 at 5:40 AM
Currently on Win8.1x86 ASUS TransformerBook Intel Atom 73735F (Quad) Ram: 2.0GB
FIlemeta: 1.2+1.3Beta

Yadda yadda:
I am a college student with over 500 files organized and sorted using FileMeta.
My old PC has crashed forcing me to switch to a new PC and FM is acting up.
There is an issue with a few stubborn file handlers including: MF MPEG-4 and the Microsoft Office Metdata Handler.

The issue:
I am trying to remove the default handlers and switch to custom ones.
Deleting the registry keys for .Docx .Mp4 .Xlsx .Mp3 Etc..... and creating a new key with the same name does not remove the old handler from the file type.
Its either as if something is re-writing the properties to the new key or FileMeta is not updating it in the Association managers UI for some reason.
Either way its still greys out all FM custom options for the offending file types and thy remain with their default handlers.

Information:
I focused on the .Mp4 file type.
The default handler is MF MPEG-4 Property Handler. (Default with windows possibly WMP)
                                  V
Using ShellExView I got this CLSID:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{f81b1b56-7613-4ee4-bc05-1fab5de5c07e}
                                  V
Through a sub-directory I found a string linking to this .dll
%SystemRoot%\System32\mfmp4srcsnk.dll
                                  V
(These files are all protected by trusted installer)

Attempt1:
Regular key deletion and recreation using regedit.
Unsuccessful (Handler remains the same)

Attempt2:
Disabled MF MPEG-4 File Handler Using ShellExView.
Unsuccessful (Handler remains the same)

Attempt3:
Deleted Entire CLSID {f81b1b56-7613-4ee4-bc05-1fab5de5c07e}.
MF MPEG-4 Property Handler disappears from ShellExView.
FIleMeta association manager no longer displays MF MPEG-4 Property Handler for the .mp4 format it instead displays the .dll (mfmp4srcsnk.dll) as the handler.
Unsuccessful (Handler name changes, file manager options unavailable)

Attempt4:
Deleted Entire CLSID {f81b1b56-7613-4ee4-bc05-1fab5de5c07e}.
Deleted the .dll (mfmp4srcsnk.dll)
MF MPEG-4 Property Handler disappears from ShellExView.
FIleMeta association manager no longer displays MF MPEG-4 Property Handler for the .mp4 format it instead displays nothing as the handler.
Unsuccessful (Handler name changes, file manager options still unavailable)

1:30am:
aaaaaaaaand that's where my heads at right now.
Either way I have to get back finishing assignments as the crash caused a few to become overdue.
Hopefully someone has a clue whats going on here and I can get my organization scheme back.
Thanks anyone and everyone! :)
Oct 28, 2015 at 12:08 PM
To manually remove the property handler for a file type, e.g., .mp4:
  • Start regedit as administrator.
  • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers.mp4, backup that key, then remove that key.
  • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\SystemPropertyHandlers, backup that key, find the entry for “.mp4” and remove that entry.
    Note: If you get an access denied error on the previous step, right-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\SystemPropertyHandlers, click on Permissions…, Advanced, and change the Owner to the Administrators group. Then assign full access to the Administrators group in the same dialog and retry.
  • Then use the filemeta association manager to set the filemeta property handler for .mp4 file type.
As always, be careful when using the registry editor, and make sure you backup the settings before changing them.

Br,
Thomas