Windows 10 doesn't seem to register it?

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:20 PM
Edited Sep 27, 2015 at 6:26 PM
Hi! I've tried to install both stable and release candidate for 64-bit and it seems on Windows 10, it's not registering at all. I don't even get the "Metadata" context menu when I right click on a file. Am I just overlooking something? I'm trying to do this for .GIF files. I mainly just want to add tags to them.
Coordinator
Sep 27, 2015 at 7:08 PM
Hi ShedoSurashu

I have tested File Meta on Windows 10 and it has worked as expected.

Are you getting any errors during installation? Note also that the context menu will not show up anywhere until you use the File Association Manager (added to the start menu under File Metadata) to configure one or more extensions to use the File Meta property handler, and then it will show up only on files with those extensions.

Dijji
Sep 28, 2015 at 9:17 AM
This is what It looks like for .GIF on the File Association Manager.

And this is what it looks like on a *.GIF's Details property.

As you can see, there's no, "Tag" field on it.
Coordinator
Sep 28, 2015 at 9:52 AM
You’re quite right. The reason is that .gif already has a property handler, and so File Meta leaves it alone. You need to choose an extension that does not have a property handler, and add the File Meta property handler to it.

The logic behind this restriction is that a given extension can have only one property handler, so if I overrode the setting for .gif, for example, you would lose all the capabilities of the Windows-provided property handler. Unfortunately, there is no additive mechanism that would allow me to keep the built-in capabilities, but add additional metadata properties.

If you are really determined to replace the Windows property handler, it can be done with a registry tweak, but this should only be done with a full awareness of the consequences.

Dijji
Sep 28, 2015 at 9:58 AM
Ah that sucks, the main reason I got File Metadata is so I can tag my collection of reaction GIFs. I'll have to think about if I want to go ahead with replacing the Windows-provided handler but would you please tell how it can be done? So I have the knowledge at hand in case I decide to do it.
Coordinator
Sep 28, 2015 at 10:20 AM
This discussion thread tells you about the registry tweak required, and may also give you additional insight into the pros and cons of making such a move.

Dijji
Sep 28, 2015 at 10:38 AM
Hi Dijji,

I have extended the FileMeta property handler to work with a “down level” property handler. In other words, in the above example it can show the stock properties like “dimensions”, “width”, “height”, etc. from the stock .bmp property handler, and you’d still able to set other properties via FileMeta. I use this for .mpg and similar files, and it works great.

However, at this time it must be configured via registry, as I had no time so far to update the FileMeta GUI to help configuring it.

I can give you the patch to the property handler if you like, and describe how to configure it.

Br,
Thomas
Coordinator
Sep 28, 2015 at 11:17 AM
Hi Thomas,

I would be fascinated to know how you work this trick, and would be happy to make the necessary changes to the code base to support it.

Regards

Dijji
Sep 28, 2015 at 9:56 PM
Hi Dijji,

Please see issue #9632 for the patch and the description.

Br,
Thomas
Coordinator
Sep 30, 2015 at 7:47 AM
Hi Thomas

Thank you for that. I’m sorry I’m being slow responding, but I’m struggling with a heavy cold. With luck, the fog should clear before too long.

Dijji
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2015 at 9:03 AM
Hi Thomas

I've added some comments to the issue. I'm not sure if you will be notified as a consequence, so I am letting you know here.

Dijji
Oct 2, 2015 at 2:59 PM
I'm just eagerly awaiting how this pans out. :)