File metadata does not appear in Total Commander

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:53 AM
Edited Jan 1, 2015 at 1:23 AM
I've tested File Metadata on Win8.1 64-bit and it works!
And another two feature still needed.
My main file manager is TC(Total Commander) and I've used a plugin named ShellDetails to display all Windows Explorer's fields.
However, I can NOT see the file's metadata which I've edited and saved in Windows Explorer, such fields include rating, categories and tags.
Also, when I right click, choose properties and go to Details tab, the metadata appears there can NOT be edited.

For these files such as .mp3 and .docx, their properties displays in TC columns and can be edited in Properties tab.
It seems that TC can NOT read the metadata which is editing-enabled by File Metadata.

Please help to check this and enable metadata editing in TC.

Thanks.

BTW, happy new year.
Coordinator
Jan 2, 2015 at 10:09 AM
Hi valuex

I have never looked at Total Commander, so I thought I would give it a go. I installed version 8.51a, 64-bit, on my 64-bit Windows 7 system. I then added version 1.24 of the ShellDetails plug-in. File Meta is configured to handle metadata for .txt files. I'm seeing the following:

1) Adding a custom column referring to the standard comments property: '[=tc.comment]' shows no values. However, referring to the ShellDetails comments property: ' [=shelldetails.Comments]' produces the desired result, Total Commander shows the comments added to a .txt file in Windows Explorer. Similarly, ' [=shelldetails.Tags]' shows the tags.

2) Right clicking on a file in Total Commander shows exactly the same context menu as appears in Windows Explorer. The details pane shows, and allows the editing of, comment and tags properties for .txt files

So, at least on my system, things actually work pretty well. Are the problems you are seeing related to the extension you look at? Can you reproduce my successes with .txt files? Also, what do you see when you right click on a file in Windows Explorer? Does the details pane work there?

Dijji