This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

FileMetadata - problems seeing data fields with pdfs

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:56 PM
I've installed File Metadata on a Windows7 64 bit PC. In the Windows Explorer File Details pane I see:
(a) For pds: Date Modified, Date Created
(b) for Word: Date Modified, Tags, Title, Authors.
(c) for htmls: Title, Tags, Comment, Categories.

I want to see 'Comment' for all.

It is puzzling, because your image shows more fields for a pdf.
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Hi mmp997

When you used the File Association Manager to configure the extensions you wanted metadata for, what profiles did you pick for the PDF and HTML extensions?

Also, did you restart Explorer once you had configured these extensions? (as described in Getting Started)

For Word documents, the properties shown are determined by the Microsoft property handler installed with Office, which the File Association Manager will leave carefully alone.

Dijji
Oct 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Edited Oct 2, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Word is no problem, I don't have many Word docs I want to comment.

For html, on setup I selected that your program should deal with it, i.e., I picked File Property Meta Handler. For pdf, I did not have this choice! I could not select it! It is dealt with by default by XChange PDF Property Handler.

I then restarted the PC.

I have now uninstalled the PDF XChange PDF Program, restarted the PC, and re-ran the installation of File Metadata. I am now able to select pdfs (during installation I got the error message 'some errors occured during handler setup' but ignored it).

Thanks for prompting me to think!
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Edited Oct 2, 2014 at 11:40 AM
I think that the PDF XChange folk are doing a pretty thorough job by installing a property handler to give you access to such fields as Title and Authors. The standard Adobe reader does not do this.

Unfortunately, they can't help with Comments, because the PDF format does not define anywhere to put them, rather surprisingly. Thus, comments can only be delivered by a solution that keeps metadata outside the file, like File Meta. So, as you say, the way forward is to remove PDF XChange, or at least its property handler, if that is a configuration option, and use File Meta instead.

You can tell whether a file extension has been set up successfully after an error by restarting the File Association Manager and seeing whether the extension you were trying to set up appears at the top of the list amongst those with the File Meta property handler configured. If not, it is okay to try again.
Oct 2, 2014 at 11:43 AM
Edited Oct 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Yep. What I have found is that removing PDF XChange also removes the Preview function, there is extensive forum discussion of preview problems with the Windows Explorer / Adobe combination. So (for me) the cure is worse than the illness. I am moving the patient to another ward http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/index.html where the doctors have discovered a fix.

It works.

So both Preview and Comments work, and I am happy.

But how to sort Comments alphabetically? By default, Zaphod Beeblebrox is on top of the column, when we want Adam to come first. Minor issue, however.
Coordinator
Oct 3, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Great. I'm glad that you have got it all going at once.

On your minor issue: in Explorer, clicking on the 'Comments' header at the top of the column should reverse the sort order. That's not me, it works for all columns in Explorer.
Oct 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Hi. Am I right that file metadata are not synced by programs such as Dropbox? I have installed a new PC with DropBox folders synced from my laptop, the Metadata don't show up.
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2014 at 10:13 AM
I haven't tried Dropbox in particular, but in general, moving a file outside NTFS will lose metadata added by File Meta, so I strongly suspect that you are right.

The workaround is to use the command line utility to export the metadata to XML files, which you can move using Dropbox, and then the command line utility again to reimport them and apply them to the files on your new PC.