Filemeta and Mediainfo

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Edited Jul 31, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Hello everyone, newbie here.
I'd like to say thank you to the author for a good program which re-adds a very useful functionality, at least for me.
Why Microsoft canceled it since Vista onward is beyond me.
Now for a small bug.
I have a machine with Windows Vista and service pack 1.
About .mpg files, I noticed a incompatibility with Filemeta 1.2 and Mediainfo ver. 0.7.69.0.
If the latter is activated, Filemeta shows the metadata fields empty and gives a error when trying to save any info
in the fields. The error is the very generic "0x80004005".
When Mediainfo is deactivated, Filemeta works as expected: shows the files correctly and saves any modification.
It shows the metadata written in windows XP, too.
About AVI files, Filemeta works without problems with abcAVI Tag editor 1.8.0.115

Regards
Coordinator
Aug 6, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Hi Milkyway70

I had a look at MediaInfo, down to some of the source code, and it all looks innocent enough.

When you say 'activated', do you mean: MediaInfo window open, showing information for a file? And, if so, does the problem with displaying and editing metadata with File Meta apply to just the file that MediaInfo is displaying, or all .mpg files?

Dijji
Aug 10, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Edited Aug 11, 2014 at 7:16 AM
Hello Dijji
and thanks for the quick response.
When I say "activated", I mean Mediainfo set (in its program) to display the infos. Usually I don't even open the program window,
it simply works in background to provides informations, when I hoover the mouse cursor on a file name.
And it works, but it seems to "block" Filemeta and I can't see any metatag, either in explorer windows or
in the properties windows.

Regards
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Hi Milkyway70

To answer your second question first, Windows does have to have heard of an extension for it to appear in File Association Manager. Happily, however, all it takes to register a completely new extension is a single empty registry key for the extension under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. So, for .mkv, you would add:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mkv]
The next time you open File Association Manager, the .mkv extension should appear.

Returning to the original question of MediaInfo, all I can think is that MediaInfo is holding the files open, preventing File Metadata from opening them and reading the metadata properties. I'm not very convinced by this explanation. It might be possible to investigate further, by looking at what else is blocked, e.g. file editing, or whether hovering over a file in one Explorer window affects the display of metadata in another Explorer window showing the same file.

Dijji