This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Confusion: Association Manager display

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:55 PM
Edited Jul 15, 2014 at 5:57 PM
The Association Manager display has a built-in confusion. The extensions with extant system-provided Handlers show Metadata properties as being editable, when they are in fact not editable, as show highlighted in this image.

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Hi DAV4IS

You're right. If there are programmers that can create good UI, and programmers that can't, I'm definitely one of the former.

The metadata properties shown in fact relate purely to the currently selected profile. When the selected extension has a handler other than the File Meta property handler, this has no meaning.

Any suggestions as to how I can improve this would be gratefully received.

Dijji
Jul 16, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Hi,
OK, when the selected extension is one of those others, blank out the two properties columns -- i.e. NONE are editable.
Jul 16, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Hmmm.... This becomes a problem when more than one extension is selected.
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2014 at 2:48 PM
I could adopt the same approach that I have with the Add Handler and Remove Handler buttons, which are enabled only when all of the selected extensions can be acted on. The result would be something like:
  1. All selected extensions have no handler: profile combo box is enabled and profile property lists are shown.
  2. All selected extensions have File Meta handler: profile combo box is disabled and profile for the first selected extension is shown in combo box and profile property lists.
  3. All other cases: profile combo box is disabled and profile property lists are empty.
What do you think?

Dijji
Jul 16, 2014 at 8:25 PM
That would remove the confusion, I think.
Coordinator
Jul 17, 2014 at 9:31 AM
Okay, great. I will open an issue to track the work for inclusion in the next release.

Dijji
Coordinator
Jul 17, 2014 at 9:34 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.