This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

add file meta handler - grey out

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:59 AM
Edited Jan 30, 2014 at 6:45 AM
Hi currently using Windows 7 and installed the x64 edition of file meta association manager.

I want to enable all possible extensions, how do I do it? Hitting ctl + A highlights everything; however if I select .doc and hit ctl + A, I can't add Meta handler (grey out and shows "Office Document Property Handler"). If I select .dll, .fon, .exe or other system related with no handler, it is still grey out. I did love to edit notes to .exe files if possible.

If I go to the bottom of the list and select say, .xlm and hit ctl + A, only .xlm has the "File Meta Property Handler" bold and not other files. Is there a easy one click handler for all possible extensions?

Since you mentioned folders (not possible unless through .ini modification, at least for now) in the previous post and moving files to different system/drives loses meta data as it is not embedded to the file, is there a easier and faster way to just export all the meta data being copied/moved to than manually click one by one? especially if I want to copy/move 1000 files to a different drive/system or multiple folders of 23950 files? I tested out multiple highlighting files and the meta handler doesn't show up.

Would have solved a lot of issues if these notes/meta can be stored as part of said file/folder, attached like a header/footer like filenotes used to do in XP so the notes never gets lost unless file is deleted or comments removed. But guess it isn't possible with newer Windows.

Last but not least, what is the difference between simple and office DOS file in editable properties?
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2014 at 7:22 AM
No, there is currently no easy way to add handlers for all available extensions. This is a limitation of my code: it does not currently pick up multiple selections in the list of extensions, so even if you select multiple extensions, a handler will only be added for one of them. I think that I should remove this limitation, and will add a work item to include it in a future release.

Yes, there is a better way to export metadata for multiple files. I have created a command line program for this very purpose, that can be used directly, or in batch files or scripts. It is currently available as a beta from the downloads page.

The difference between the two profiles is simply the number of properties that are made available. As you switch between the profiles on the left in the File Association Manager, you will see the lists of properties on the right change, showing which properties are included in each profile. The Office DSO Profile reflects the set of properties supported by an Office-released utility to manipulate Office file properties.

Dijji
Jan 30, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Thx for the fast response, but what about the question that an extension which doesn't have a handler but is grey out; as an example, .exe or a .dll file of which I can't set with a handler?
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Sorry, missed that one. The answer is, that they do have property handlers, which is why they're grayed out, but the property handlers do not have names, so they show as blank. The property handler for .exe, for instance, turns out to be %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll.

Dijji
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2014 at 8:27 AM
I have now looked a little deeper into the question of multiple selection, and it raises some tricky issues:
  • Selecting a handler displays its profile. What should be displayed when multiple handlers with different profiles are selected?
  • The Add Handler and Remove Handler buttons are enabled and disabled based on the currently selected handler, and whether they are currently valid. What should happen when multiple handlers are selected, and, say, handlers can be added to some of them, but not others?
My inclination now is to leave the current interface alone. It might be slow in some cases, but it is clear.

On the other hand, I think that I should ensure that the description text for a greyed handler is never blank, so that confusion over whether there is a handler or not never arises.

Dijji
Feb 1, 2014 at 8:27 AM
Edited Feb 1, 2014 at 8:44 AM
That would be easy to both questions.
  1. If said profiles already have handlers, then it can simply display a grey out property as in no selection highlighted or no user input-able.
  2. Your concern regarding able to add to some and not others in handler is also easily solved by:
       all non handlers will be handled by FileMetaData, and not touch anything else with a handler.

3. On a different note, the ability to search via handled by said handler would be great.
       Say .docx is handled by MS office and a search function for the extension, as in I want to modify .txt, I can easily type txt or .txt and the handler would be highlighted.  Much easier than scrolling down and searching for the extension one knows needed change or to see what the handler is.

4. As you mentioned in the previous post, regarding an extension with a handler already; you can possibly make it easier by:
              one click on the handler to select backup and replace it with FileMetaData and a rollback option - with a description what the user is getting into.  The user clicks on the select-able dial to enable this option.

5. And yes, if a handler is being handled by another should never be blank so no confusion would exist :)
Coordinator
Feb 7, 2014 at 9:16 AM
These are good suggestions. I will take another look at this.

Dijji
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2014 at 11:06 AM
OK, I have now implemented support for multiple selection and text search within the list of extensions.

These work as follows:
  • If multiple extensions are selected, then Add Handler is enabled only if none of the extensions already have a handler, and Remove Handler is enabled only if all of the extensions have the File Meta Property Handler.
  • The profile shown is changed only when the first extension with a File Meta Property Handler is added to the current selection. I didn't go with greying out in the end, because it wasn't very clear when to un-grey.
  • You can search the list of extensions by typing, say, ‘.txt’. It does not work if you just type ‘txt’.
I have not implemented any support for overwriting existing property handlers. This should really not be done except by the knowledgeable, so preparedness to hack the registry to do this feels like a reasonable price of entry, especially given that I have specified the edits required.

These changes should be included in the next Release Candidate for version 1.2.

Dijji
Feb 13, 2014 at 7:42 PM
And don't forget to add the ability to one click export all filemeta infos; be it a folder or folders or files. That way one doesn't have to click one file at a time to export or import (imagine 1,000 clicks per folder)

Also, if there is a way to update information as in "ProgramVersion1.2.exe" and the author released "ProgramVersion2.01.exe" I like to delete "ProgramVersion1.2.exe" and retain "ProgramVersion2.01.exe" by transfering meta information from "ProgramVersion1.2.exe" to "ProgramVersion2.01.exe" without retyping all infos. Very handly if there are lots of files/programs that are upddated
May 11, 2014 at 7:03 AM
FileMeta9510 wrote:
And don't forget to add the ability to one click export all filemeta infos; be it a folder or folders or files. That way one doesn't have to click one file at a time to export or import (imagine 1,000 clicks per folder)
Great for this problem. Scripts for "command line program" were too complex.

I want to export ANY FILE TYPEs (but I can't count how many file type in this folder, because there're too much) into a subfolder with "@ xml" name. What must I create .bat file (or .cmd) with contents?

Thanks Dijji for ur this great tool.
Coordinator
May 13, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Edited May 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Hi Xikul

Maybe I need to add some more examples to the documentation. But for now…. if you open a command prompt and navigate to the directory containing your files, then this should do what you want (you may have to correct the path to filemeta.exe):
"c:\Program Files\File Metadata\FileMeta.exe" -e -f="@ xml" *.*
Files with extensions not set up with File Meta will generate empty XML files. Also, the target folder must already exist, so if it doesn't, create it first:
md "@ xml"
For repeated use, you can create a cmd file containing these lines. You may also want to put "c:\Program Files\File Metadata" on the path for command prompts.

Do let me know if you have any problems.

Dijji
May 13, 2014 at 4:38 PM
"c:\Program Files\File Metadata\FileMeta.exe" -e -f="@ xml" *.*
1) From above command prompt, I like to only export file types that containing their metadata (mean "not containing empty XML files").

2) How to know "which specific files that containing their metadata either or not?" (Ex: I have 1000 files with extensions set up with File Meta, I've had to add "Authors, Tags, Subjects, Comments..." to 600 files, but I can't remember that I've had add to some files among these 600 files; including 400 other files)

Thanks Dijji for ur workings.
Coordinator
May 16, 2014 at 7:53 AM
Hi Xikul
  1. I agree, this is a good idea. It will make it consistent with the context menu, when you can't import or export metadata for a file extension not using the File Meta property handler. It will make the most significant difference in the . case, however, leading simply to errors in cases where inappropriate extensions are specified. I will add a work item.
  2. I'm afraid I haven't been able to understand what you are looking for here. Is it an overview of which files are marked with which metadata? One could imagine a spreadsheet with the files as rows, the columns as properties, and the cells as property values. Is that the sort of thing you mean?
Dijji