Teracopy

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Thank you also for this wonderful program!
I just installed it an "playing around". It works as described.

I´m unsin teracopy 2.3 (latest) beacause of some issues of explorer.
If I copy/move on the same drive even teracopy works as expeced but if you copy to different Drive (also NTFS) all metadata are gone...

Any hint for me ?
Thank you
Bernhard
Coordinator
Jan 8, 2014 at 2:39 PM
Hi BG63

This sounds like a limitation of teracopy. It is not surprising that movement within a drive works: in the world of NTFS, this is just a fie rename, and so very unlikely to be destructive. However, when copying between drives, teracopy would have to intentionally copy all of the streams in the file, rather than just the default stream, and it appears that it does not do this.

If this is the case, then there is no workaround other than to export the metadata before the copy, and to reapply it after the copy. The command line support beta that I have released would allow you to do this for all the files in a folder at once.

Dijji
Jan 10, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Dear Dijji

It looks that there are a lot of possibilities to loose alternate data streams – not only Teracopy.

Is it possible to add a “standard” property handler to an extension – which stays even if the file goes to a linux share and back?

The only tags I´m interested a very basic ones (Marker, Categories…)

Best regards

Bernhard

Von: Dijji [email removed]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 08. Jänner 2014 16:39
An: [email removed]
Betreff: Re: Teracopy [filemeta:484073]

Hi BG63

This sounds like a limitation of teracopy. It is not surprising that movement within a drive works: in the world of NTFS, this is just a fie rename, and so very unlikely to be destructive. However, when copying between drives, teracopy would have to intentionally copy all of the streams in the file, rather than just the default stream, and it appears that it does not do this.

If this is the case, then there is no workaround other than to export the metadata before the copy, and to reapply it after the copy. The command line support beta that I have released would allow you to do this for all the files in a folder at once.

Dijji

Coordinator
Jan 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM
The key question is not so much what is the property handler, but where the property handler stores the properties.

If, like File Meta, the properties are stored in a standard location in the file system (NTFS), but outside the main content of the file, then the metadata will not automatically be transported with the file when it is moved or copied outside the file system.

If, like the Windows supplied property handlers for Office documents, JPEG ‘s, etc, the properties are stored the main content of the file in locations defined by the specific file format, then the metadata will be transported with the file, but it will only be possible to store a given metadata property if it is specified by the file format (for instance, PDFs do not have a well-defined location for a comment property), and each file format must be supported by a property handler that understands that format (thus, Windows cannot store metadata properties for many file formats out of the box.)

As far as I know, there are no other classes of solutions to this problem. File Meta is an improvement on solutions that store metadata in a central database, as at least the metadata moves around with the file within NTFS (bar the use of something like teracopy to do the moves). It is also an improvement on file format dependent storage, because it works for all file formats. However, it is not a universal solution. I don't believe that any such solution exists, even for simple properties such as tag or category.

Dijji
Jan 13, 2014 at 6:29 AM

Dear Dijji

Thank you very much for your clear - in deep -answer.

Best regards

Bernhard

Von: Dijji [email removed]
Gesendet: Freitag, 10. Jänner 2014 12:51
An: [email removed]
Betreff: Re: Teracopy [filemeta:484073]

The key question is not so much what is the property handler, but where the property handler stores the properties.

If, like File Meta, the properties are stored in a standard location in the file system (NTFS), but outside the main content of the file, then the metadata will not automatically be transported with the file when it is moved or copied outside the file system.

If, like the Windows supplied property handlers for Office documents, JPEG ‘s, etc, the properties are stored the main content of the file in locations defined by the specific file format, then the metadata will be transported with the file, but it will only be possible to store a given metadata property if it is specified by the file format (for instance, PDFs do not have a well-defined location for a comment property), and each file format must be supported by a property handler that understands that format (thus, Windows cannot store metadata properties for many file formats out of the box.)

As far as I know, there are no other classes of solutions to this problem. File Meta is an improvement on solutions that store metadata in a central database, as at least the metadata moves around with the file within NTFS (bar the use of something like teracopy to do the moves). It is also an improvement on file format dependent storage, because it works for all file formats. However, it is not a universal solution. I don't believe that any such solution exists, even for simple properties such as tag or category.

Dijji